As a homeowner or renter, keeping a close eye on what your electrical system is telling you is crucial to the safety of your home and family. Several internal issues could be lurking in your home that require immediate attention and if they are continually ignored, serious problems could occur.
The majority of electrical related home fires and devastation are caused by faulty electrical wiring. Most of the time you cannot see the electrical wiring behind the walls of your home, so fixing these issues can become a huge challenge.
If you notice any of the following signs, contact your electrician immediately for an electrical inspection and repair:
- Frequent Circuit Breaker Trips – If your circuit breaker frequently trips, it is a sign that the circuit breaker is either overloaded or there is an issue with your circuit breaker’s wiring. Frequent circuit breaker trips could also indicate an electrical appliance that is connected to the circuit is faulty and this needs to be addressed.
- Dimming House Lights – If during the course of the day your lights are dimming spontaneously without external factors like an oncoming storm or strong winds, this could be a warning sign that your house lights have faulty wiring or their circuit is overloaded.
- Flickering House Lights – Like dimming house lights, flickering house lights outside the presence of a storm or strong winds are another warning sign that there are issues with the wiring in your home. Flickering lights can be caused by damage to the wiring leading up to the lighting fixture or within the lighting fixture itself. Flickering lights are also a sign that your electrical system may be overworked or outdated.
- Buzzing sounds from Electrical Outlets – If you are hearing a slight buzzing noise from any of the switches or electrical outlets in your home, it is a warning sign that there is a problem with loose wiring in the outlet box or a problem with the device itself. Another tell-tale sign of an issue with wiring in switches and outlets is faces of the outlets or switches that are warm or even hot when you touch them.
- Smell of Burning Plastic – Even if the smell is very faint, if there is a scent of burning plastic anywhere in your house, this is immediate cause to shut off the breaker and call an electrician right away. This could indicate melting wires or the start of very dangerous electrical fires.
At Got Watts Electric, the safety and security of our customers is our number one concern. If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms or other issues that cause you concern, do not hesitate to contact us today.