Call Us Now! 24 Hour Service Available!

(925) 421-0411

Serving the East Bay Area - License #985920
  • 146
    reviews

  • average rating
  • 22
    reviews

  • average rating
  • 53
    reviews

  • average rating
  • 27
    reviews

  • average rating

24 Hour
Emergency Service Available

Electrician Serving Pleasant Hill, Concord, Walnut Creek, LafayetteOrinda, Moraga & the Surrounding Areas

Could your office lights be hurting your health?

office lightingAs business owners, we all care about our  health and the health of our employees. So, we invest in clean air products, water treatment products, and even healthy vending machines. We encourage physical activities and hire cleaning crews to keep allergens and dust to a minimum. But, what if one thing we’re missing is right above us - our office lights?

If you haven’t made the switch from traditional fluorescent lighting to LED lights in your office yet, you may want to consider it now  to improve your health and the health of your employees. 

LED lights to give off a whiter light than traditional compact fluorescent bulbs- resulting in less strain on your eyes when trying to read or focus. This is such a great benefit to reduce the strain your eyes already undergo during a day of staring at a computer monitor, spreadsheets or measurements. LED provides you with a clearer view of what you are looking at. Compact Fluorescent bulbs cast objects in a yellow glow, and light that is focused in one direction.

CFL light bulbs contain mercury - a highly toxic metal that poses serious health risks, while LED lights contain no such toxic chemicals or metals. Studies performed by the United States Department of Energy and scientists from Carnegie Mellon both found that LED lights are as efficient to manufacture as CFL lights and LEDs will become even more efficient in the future. With a market that’s rewarding businesses for going green by offering incentives for energy saving methods, LED lighting could benefit your business in more ways than one!

Wildfires and Your Home's Electrical System

California is no stranger to fire danger, especially over the last few weeks. The state has seen its fair share of wildfires and so far this year alone, it’s been some of the most serious yet. Over a million acres have been affected, and 41 lives lost too date. Though the majority of the most recent wildfires spread out through California have been contained, some are still fighting and burning and causing excessive amounts of damage. Many cannot return to their homes, simply because it does not exist anymore. Those who are lucky enough to still have a place to come home to need to take some things into very serious consideration before living comfortably again; such as electrical systems in still-standing homes.

wildfire electrician

After an event like a wildfire, it is crucial to have your home inspected if you were in an affected area. These inspections will provide a peace of mind in knowing your home is safe or has the potential to be safe, rather than be kept guessing and hoping.

Fire can damage electrical wires very obviously and will cause additional fires inside the home if sparked. If a firefighter is present during the blaze and attempts to contain the fire, the water from the hoses will also damage any exposed electrical wiring. It is important to make sure all electricity is turned off, and appliances are unplugged before returning to the affected home.

Entirely new wiring might be a possibility after a wildfire. This will ensure that all of your wirings is up to date and code, plus it will be brand new. No issues or worries if there will be a short or spark due to the previous disasters. So if your home has been affected by the recent wildfires affecting all of us in California, please contact us for a complete whole home electrical inspection and we can give you recommendations on how to proceed with any electrical repairs in your home, making sure your family is safe and sound.

After a natural, or sometimes even manmade, disaster such as a wildfire it is smart to have a professional electrician assess the damages to your home. It could easily save your life one day.

Gross but useful - Scientist are creating electricity from used toilet paper

toilet paper electricityToilet paper isn’t often considered a very valuable asset given that most people prefer not to think about it much at all. Toilet paper is an entrepreneur’s dream because it is one of just a few raw materials with a negative cost. Treatment facilitiesactually pay per ton to get rid of it!

Scientists have proposed a two-step process for the conversion of toilet paper, taking it from an unwanted waste to a product that’s quite useful. For chemists actively researching the idea of using toilet paper as a resource for generating electricity, they hope to achieve the “ultimate waste recycling concept.”

Since the cellulose contained in toilet paper comes from trees, the electricity produced is renewable and offers a great opportunity for meeting society’s demand for renewable energy. Further, while most renewable resources often show discontinuous peaks (plant stems can be recycled, but only after the harvest; sunlight is only available in the daytime and depends on cloud cover, and wind supply is unpredictable) waste toilet paper, on the other hand, is a continuously available resource.

The proposed system’s capital costs are still relatively high (mainly due to the fuel cell investment costs), but are expected to decrease as the market for fuel cells develops. Researches expect the system could eventually become more competitive with a LCOE of about 11cents per kilowatt hour. 

While the project team is currently undertaking the project in Amsterdam, they are excited about plans to take their concept abroad even speculating the first Waste Toilet Paper to Electricity plant being built in China.

Simple tips to curb light pollution to enjoy the night sky

If you’ve ever viewed a map of a satellite in orbit, you’ve seen all the lights that are visible to the naked eye. So, why does it appear there are only a few stars to see when you look up at a night sky?  How many are really hidden by light pollution? More people are beginning to ask that question as the problem of light pollution increases. One solution to this problem is “dark sky friendly lighting.” 

Dark sky friendly lighting prevents light from being cast above a light fixture to provide a distinct lighting pattern. This solution casts lighting only towards the ground where it is needed. Dark sky lighting uses only the light levels needed (without over-lighting) and avoids casting the light back into the atmosphere. Turning these lights off when not in use also contributes to lowering light pollution. 

Non-dark sky friendly lighting fixtures cast light in every direction, including upwards. Over-lighting wastes energy confuses wildlife and disturbs breeding patterns by it’s twilight effect. Over-lighting also produces a dangerous, distracting and tiresome glare for drivers. 

Dark sky friendly lighting is crucial to solving the light pollution problem that disrupts our ecosystems and threatens our ability to study and learn from astronomy. Wasted energy costs around $2.2 billion per year, in the US alone. 

 

DIY Electrical Work: Just Don’t

diy electricalThe fact is, the biggest danger of DIY Electrical work is the simple fact that electricity is deadly and when not handled properly, the consequences are irreversible. 

A lot of DIY electrical home improvement projects are often done while you’re in a hurry and without a proper plan. Something as seemingly small and simple as forgetting to turn off the electrical breaker, using the wrong tools for the project or even just touching the wrong wire by accident can send extremely high voltage coursing through your body - at the least causing major burns and at worse causing heart attack and death. 

A lot of people feel like because flipping a light switch on and off is so simple, that we forget how truly deadly and powerful electricity is. Most DIYers will simply experiment with the breaker, testing different electrical circuits until they see the lights turn off in the area they intend to work in and assume it’s safe to start working. This is a huge mistake because it is not always true that all outlets and fixtures in one area will be on the same circuit.

It is imperative to use a licensed electrician for your home’s electrical work. They will be well versed and licensed in all of the safety and building codes required to be sure the job is done safely and correctly. It is also very important to adhere to all safety and building codes should you ever intend on selling your home or having it inspected. DIY Electrical work can cause you to instantly fail an inspection, costing you a lot more money down the line to have the work repaired.

DIY Electrical work puts you and your family at the real risk of electrical fires, electrical shocks, injury or death that can be caused by even the tiniest mistake. 

When it comes to Electrical work in your home, leave it to the experts at Myers Electric. Contact us today!